The International Air Transport Association (IATA) released performance figures for 2018 showing that global air connectivity continues to become more accessible and more efficient. The IATA World Air Transport Statistics (2019 WATS) confirms that:
- 4 billion passengers flew in 2018
- Record efficiency was achieved with 81.9% of available seats being filled
- Fuel efficiency improved by more than 12% compared to 2010
- 22,000 city pairs are now connected by direct flights, up 1,300 over 2017 and double the 10,250 city pairs connected in 1998
- The real cost of air transport has more than halved over the last 20 years (to around 78 US cents per revenue tonne-kilometer, or RTK).
Collected and summarized from the source below by Ta Ngoc Diep: https://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2019-07-31-01.aspx